A Second Class Journey


     
 It’s my term end and I decide to visit my hometown Kerala for two weeks and that too alone. As much as I love going to Kerala, I totally hate coming back to Pune, although it isn’t really so bad but I hate it, a lot.

So I wait willingly wait for the train at the Pune Railway Station. I looked around to see if there were any pretty girls who would probably be in my compartment. None.

The train  arrives. I get in. Me being tall, it’s tough to adjust on side berths. But still I always try to get side berths, so that I can avoid whichever group/family travelling together. I also used to wonder why I don’t get seats around young girls. Do you know how boring it is to travel with older guys and ladies. Later I came to know to know that our India Railways follows this algorithm which sorts young men from young women. How sad!I have my food and go to sleep. 

Next morning we are in Andhra Pradesh, passing through fields and remote villages. I put my earphones on and start listening to music.
While sitting there at the window seat, we see things moving backwards, we start thinking about our past or previous memories. Moreover if you have fully charged MP3 with a song playlist of all those which take a walk down the memory lane, one can have a nice plethora of thoughts.


Fast forward, its night time and I am very excited to be in my hometown. I usually don’t fell asleep the night before the train enters Kerala, though nothing can be seen only few verandah lamps and some street lights while passing through towns.
I woke up to the sounds of a train crossing, its 4:30 am, and we are about to reach Ernakulam North Railway station, could see the Kochi Metro works under construction.


The train halts for a while for a loco change.The tracks were wet hinting about a heavy downpour last night. And then the announcement  "Yathrakaarude Shradhaku" (Passengers your attention please),you know how pleasant it is for me to hear it in Malayalam. The train chugs off slowly I sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery the Gods Own Country has.

            Arrives at Kottayam , I could see many college girls waiting to board the train. 

I must say girls in Kerala are really very beautiful with those eyeliners and Chandana Kuri (Sandalwood paste on forehead). I wish I did my schooling and college here itself…
            About to reach Chengannur I take my bag and stand near the door, track doubling work could be seen.

Get down and walk towards the bus stand which is just outside the railway station.
“Kozhencherrry ” to the conductor. “Padhimunnu" (Thirteen rupees) says the conductor.

I hand her a Twenty rupee note with three rupees change. She gives a surprised look before handing me a Ten Rupee note.

After reaching Kozhencherry finds an auto rickshaw. ”Valiyakulam Junction”  to the auto driver.

Passes a smile because I pronounced it incorrectly. On the way asks if I stay outside Kerala. Drops me at the Junction, though auto reaches at the doorstep of the house but I decide to walk a bit.





To the Love That’s Still a Stranger

I haven’t met you yet (or maybe I have?), and I am not sure how this will all begin. I am not the most outgoing guy, so if we do meet, it m...