The Harthal Punk

Another journey post but doesnt have any shades of my previous one,A Second Class Journey.
This time due to unavailability of tickets I couldnt book a direct train to Chengannur(Kerala).Hence I decided to book a ticket till Ernakulam(Kerala) and then catch a passenger train to Chengannur.I don't know why but I love travelling in trains.


I feel train journeys are slow for longer distances,but it gives enough time to think,pause your thoughts,rest your mind,enjoy the beauty around you,listening to the noise of the wheels of the train hitting the stones beneath and much more.There are countless moments like these on my train journeys lasting more than 30 hours.



 I reached Ernakulam at 5 in the morning and the connecting train was around 6.
Had a cup of tea with Pazham Pori(Banana Fritters) and waited on the platform listening to train sounds,announcements and the chaos.The train arrived early I got in quick so that I could grab a window seat.Meanwhile, I got a call from home that there is a Harthal(strike) in Chengannur and there will be no transportation until 5p.m.So they insisted me to stay back in Chengannur station upto 5p.m, to which I agreed.
There are two things that I am very jealous of Kerala- Harthals and the beautiful girls :P
Harthals - there are atleast one strike in a month. And all the schools and colleges get holiday.How joyous it is when you wake up in the morning and you know there is no school/college today!
 The train starts moving and by the time the bogie gets crowded,filled with office-goers,college students etc.
All were busy in newspapers,mobiles wondered why arent they enjoying the green beauty outside like me,then thought they might be bored seeing the same everyday.
Reached Chengannur and as said there was no buses outside the station.

 



Had made up my mind to stay till 5 because I had no other options. But then thought it would not take more than an hour to reach the next town so why not set out by foot.
 I have seen in few Malayalam Movies that people travel in an ambulance during Harthal days because its the only vehicle which wont be stopped, was waiting for such an occasion but none came.There was this uncle with me who advised me to take a boat from nearby riverside and would reach Kozhencherry easily.
I reached the riverside, saw the boat but there was no one around it.
 Image for representation purpose only
 "Enthuvade nokuune"
 (What are you upto?) said a lungi clad man with a bidi in his hand..
"Chetta akkareku ponam" 
 (I need to go to the opposite shore)
"Ithu njaan meenu pidikyuna vellam aa kadathuvellam alla!" 
 (I use this boat to catch fish not for passengers)
"Vere vazhi illa chetta, please" 
(I dont have any other options)
"Vaa keru"
 (Get in then)
"Evdunna Varrune?Malayalam keetitu ivadthe alla en thonnunu"
 (The way you speak in malayalam doesnt seem you stay here)
 "Pune il aa thamasam" 
(Stay in Pune)
"Avde Joli aano?" 
(Working?)
"illa padikyua"
 (No,studying)
 As said the boat had a pungent smell of fish.Reach the shore.
"Ividuunu nere nadanu poya madhi main road ezthum" 
(Walk straight and you will reach the main road)
"Appo sheri Thank you "
"O aayikyotte"

Had to walk a bit again, reached the main road took an auto.
While walking to home I get this weird looks from passers by because they dont see me often.
Saw Grandfather sitting at the verandah with the newspaper.
Surprised to see me so early
"Nee engane ethi?" (How did you reach?)
to which I replied 
"Enikku Veshakunnu" ( I am hungry)



  Inspired from : North 24 Kaatham

  

To the Love That’s Still a Stranger

I haven’t met you yet (or maybe I have?), and I am not sure how this will all begin. I am not the most outgoing guy, so if we do meet, it m...