Are you Single? - she asked

I boarded the train, shifted my luggage bag underneath the seat and made myself comfortable. Neighbouring family of four were still figuring out the solution to squeeze in more luggage in the small space below the seat. Twenty minutes into it and they were free and easy.
“Ok, yes,yes,ok ok I'll have dinner on time, I'll take care of mobile, luggages….”, I said to my mom before I hung up the call.




Time - 7:00pm.
Train halted at Shoranur Junction, a pretty girl  pretty of about my age came into view as she had the  upper berth reserved next to mine.

How to start a conversation?? How to introduce?? What's her destination city?? her course of study?? All imaginary questions were running in my head.

The best way to start a conversation during train journeys is to ask your co-passenger just one question- “where are you heading ?” yes just start with this question and conversation will continue for decades.
Study, job, sports, relatives, friends, hobbies,love etc..  all this topics will come up after that one question during Indian train journeys.
So I gathered all the courage I had, to ask that one question to the  girl, “To which city are you heading ?”
No sooner did I turn my head to start a conversation than I noticed she was already staring at me. I was completely blank for a second and I forgot the lines, I mean I forgot the question which I was about to ask….
Within no time she said- “Are you single?”. Yes, she said exactly those words loud and clear.
I was totally dumbstruck, shocked, flabbergasted, stunned, frozen, everything…
This question was out of syllabus I wasn't prepared for it, I mean I wasn't prepared to answer this directly.
You could have started with hii, hello, …, or start with nice journey ,nice weather..

The boy who was with family of four paused his game and was eagerly awaiting for my reply.
I was still figuring out the way to hide my face and avoid the question but I was already frozen with mouth wide open from which words were trotting out but couldn't!!
“ooh I meant are you travelling alone or with someone else?" -she said finally.
A sight of relief ran down my spine and I finally answered “yes I'm travelling alone"
“ok; it would really be helpful if you could exchange your seat with my uncle whose seat is next  block away, seat no. 55”-she asked with cute smile on her face.
With that smile she can even melt rock, so those imaginary conversations which I planned with her after asking about destination, slowly started fading away making me glum and tearful.

“yes, sure I'll exchange the seat, not a problem”- I said painfully.
Next step, I took my belongings and shifted to her uncle's seat.
Finally uncle was satisfied, she was  happy and I was………….well you know it.



My Other Train Stories :        A Second Class Journey 
                                             The Harthal Punk
                                             EKM to PUNE TRAIN TRAVEL
                                            The Missed Train Part - 1

To the Love That’s Still a Stranger

I haven’t met you yet (or maybe I have?), and I am not sure how this will all begin. I am not the most outgoing guy, so if we do meet, it m...